Monday, November 5, 2012

Universal Monsters Collection - The Invisible Man

I'm slowly making my way through my Universal Monsters collection and the latest instalment was The Invisible Man. 



I seriously liked this movie. Apart from the over the top screaming from the Innkeepers wife anyway. That part was pretty painful and unnecessary but who can ignore the witch-like screams of an old lady?  

I liked that the movie started off with him already being invisible. It wasn't a story about a man going mad with his experiments and suddenly becoming a monster, he was already there at the beginning.
The Invisible Man: "The drugs I took seemed to light up my brain. Suddenly I realized the power I held, the power to rule, to make the world grovel at my feet"
The special effects are so good. Even though you can see his outline and you can tell its fake, there is just something cool about it! 

The vigilantism in this movie is exactly the same as all of the other monster movies - with the hunt on with flaming torches through the bush and finally burning the monster and everything goes back to normal. 

I've worked out that these movies are more about scaring people into fearing God and conforming to societal expectations than the monsters themselves.  
The Invisible Man: "I meddled in things that man must leave alone"





No comments:

Post a Comment