Wednesday, November 14, 2012

What I'm reading Wednesday - The Wicked Girls

I remember this girl I went to primary school with that never had shoes, her hair was covered in lice and her house was one that I never wanted to go inside.

Her house was opposite the park and the magpies would swoop me while I'd ride past in my fluro pink helmet that I spray-painted to be brighter.

That girl completely reminds me of one of the characters out of the The Wicked Girls by Alex Marwood

I'm currently almost half-way reading it and it has really sucked me in. I'm new to the crime genre, but I've read enough to be fairly confident what I like and do not like.

What I like: 
- To be surprised
- Horrified
- Feel good that my life isn't as nuts
- Realistic characters that I feel like I could have a conversation with.

What I don't like:
- Stereotypical characters (everyone has flaws, but making a thing that that is what makes them different lame).
- Unbelievable plots or storylines
- Words and phrases and descriptions that are stupid

The Wicked Girls ticks all of my like boxes.

It is engaging, highly disturbing, not filled with police jargon (another thing I hate) and doesn't treat you like you are an idiot. Alex Marwood has been able to create characters that are realistic and a plot that is completely fucked up (in a GOOD way though). Although it is a familiar style jumping back and forth and between characters, it is building to something that is hopefully worth it. These girls did something pretty messed up when they were little.

I'll keep you posted.




No comments:

Post a Comment