Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Novel Tuesday!

Hello everyone! It's my first Novel day Tuesday post, as well as the first non gaming post!

Recently, (almost a month ago) I was shopping around my local Dymocks when I saw the cover of a book that caught my eye. Of course, I had to pick it up and read the blurb on the back cover. Interested, I returned home and Googled the book, fascinated. I read the prologue and decided to buy it the very next day.

If you must know, this is my normal ritual when I discover a new book that takes my interest. I don't really want to go out and buy a book I don't like!

Anyway, this book I picked up was The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks. I started reading immediately to find a well written novel by an emerging author. The novel follows Kyler Stern's rise to power from the Warrens (aka slums) to becoming a wetboy or skilled assassin. Throw is a slight hint of magic and the recipe is complete. With the first plot twist about 200 pages in, it is a slow moving book, but after the second on about page 400, the novel keeps twisting and turning unimaginably.

After the initial confusion of a new book and new characters, locations, etc. this book provides a pleasant reading experience, however, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone younger than myself due to the violent and adult themes in this book. However, my younger sister picked this book up as I finished and enjoyed it as much as myself.

I give this book a rating of 4/5, being from an emerging author there are a few flaws in the language used, but it is an enjoyable novel and a good use of 650 pages. This novel will take a proud place on my bookshelf.

As a final little add-on, next month is November, and the month for NaNoWriMo, a competition in which you aim to write 50,000 words during the month of November. However, there is no prize apart from the novel you have just written to edit and send off to a publisher etc.

There is a lot of support throughout the month, along with a giant community who participate with you. If there are any emerging/aspiring writers, I highly recommend you take up the challenge, so if you wish to, click the link below!

NaNoWriMo

No comments:

Post a Comment